Presentation –Why identifying location is important: Making academic articles accessible to other disciplines and non-academics
My first academic presentation dealt with my frustration with the language barriers between academic fields and communities.
This presentation was interactive and encouraged people to consider ways that they could make more accessible academic articles.
- Introduce to what location within writing is and why it is important to the development of accessible information
- Exploring what people experience when reading documents that cause difficulties in understanding the argument of the article.
- Provide an example of the need of location within writing in general.
- Brainstorm tools that can be used to help bring location into your own writing
How these were addressed?
- Brainstorming examples of how academic articles are inaccessible.
- Presenting why location is important in all forms of communication, including academic writing.
- Discussion of tools that can be used for implementing location within writing will be discussed.
- Examples of language difficulties
- Define and Use the Word …
- How can Location Help
- Brainstorming Location Tools
Full presentation outline can be found on my academia.edu account.